Driving and Driving Licences

Do I need a New York State License to drive in New York and the USA?

You must have a New York State driver license or a valid driver license from another US state, Canada or most other countries in the world in order to drive in New York or the USA. If you are international, see "Drivers From Other Nations".

If you become a resident of NYS, you must get a NYS driver license within 30 days and surrender your out-of-state driver license, but students from other states or from other nations who attend school in New York State are normally not considered residents of NYS.

For more information, see http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving.

Driving in New York
If you are from out of town or abroad you may be surprised by the 'unique' driving style of New York! Most people (both out of towners and locals) decide that driving in New York is a major pain in the ass and to be avoided at all costs. If you must drive, take your time, be careful, concentrate and don't be flustered if you are honked at!

[This page is of most benefit to International Students]